Search This Blog

Friday, August 8, 2008

Globe Visibility



Well, first of all I would like to say happy 888 to everyone and to those who think that bad luck will strike today, I think its pure rubbish. It's the same day as yesterday and tomorrow BUT it has really cool numbers to go along with it and in Chinese these numbers are lucky, apparently on the real lunar Calendar, today isn't, if I were you, just go on with whatever you are doing ;-)

Now back to the topic at hand.

I'm here at Chong Hua Hospital, it's 3:50pm on my watch and i've been here since 9:30 am taking care of my mom together with my elder sister and my dad. I have also been online since then using Globe Visibility connetion on my UMPC, the kohjinsha SR8.

I have to say it's very useful, I was able to do everything I was supposed to do in the office without actually being there. The USB cable though is albeit cumbersome, dangling on the side because that's the way the HUAWEI modem operates. Hopefully I can afford to buy a USB stick type modem in the future to take care of the clutter.

What is Globe Visibiity:
To make it simpler to understand, it's a SIM card placed in a special portable Modem powered and connected to your Laptop or PC via USB cable. It allows you to have Internet connection with you everywhere you go as long there is a Globe Signal.

This technology has many names, Wide Area Network (WAN), PLDT WE ROAM etc..

And a lot of laptops nowadays come built in with a modem already where you just need to insert the sim card directly to the laptop, no fuss, no messy dangling modems. Unfortunately my Kohjinsha SR8 doesn't come with one.

The SIM is actually similar to the SIM card you use with your Cellphone and on some, you can actually use your cellphone as your modem, which I have done on my HTC TOUCH DUAL, but somehow, for some reason globe can't seem to explain properly, the Huawei modem seems to handle it better, meaning you have faster connections using the HUAWEI MODEM. Your SIM also has a telephone number which people an actually call and text to, and you can make outgoing calls and text as well but due to the kind of plan, globe charges you for each text and call you make.

The Plan
799 a month, 40 hours free, if I exceed that, it's 5 pesos per 15 minutes. All Calls and Text messages will be charged accordingly if there are any made.

The Speed depends on your location. Globe commits up to 1.4mbps on full HSDPA connection but can go as low as dial speed of 56k depending on your type of connection at that particular area you are at. HSDPA (3.5G), 3G, EDGE, GPRS are the connection types you may have, HSDPA being the Highest and GPRS being the slowest.

To track how fast and what type of speed you have the Huawei E220 Modem installs a software on your Laptop or PC which allows you to do so. It even allows you to send SMS messages via the software. The application also permits you to monitor how long you have been connected on the net to make sure you don't go over your plan's provided free time.

The way I see it 40 hours should be enough for me for the month since most of the time, I am online through an office or home wifi connection connected to ADSLS modems.


Now you tech-know :-)


----------

On the side, my mom is going to undergo a procedure of placing a PORTACAT, a device which allows you to connect an IV line to the side of her neck anytime we need to.

Her cancer sadly has spread to the liver, but we still have hope with the new drug we are trying out, POLYMVA. Its one of the cancer treating drugs that is almost approved by the FDA in the US to be used hand in hand with Chemotherapy.

http://www.polymva.org
http://www.polymvasurvivors.com/testimonials.html

This doesn't only treat Cancer but many other kinds of illnesses including
Chronic Fatique Syndrome, Endometriosis, Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, and Psoriasis

Moms been smiling the whole time, mostly because of medication, but it's so nice to see her smile

Hang on mom, God will make a way and God has his plans.

I miss my wife who is at the office now, very far from me, she will spell check this article for me later hahaha.

No comments: