Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

OCZ 32Gb ATV flash Drive Review- Part 2



Sorry for the delay guys. We had an emergency meeting today with my mom's doctor and he broke to us some very bad news. My mom has a few weeks. I can't tell you how hard it is really. My wife is giving birth this December and I was really hoping that my mom will be there to help me out through raising up our first child.

That being said, we still believe in miracles and miracles do come at the least expected moment.

Again your prayers are appreciated.

I will be a very busy the next few weeks mostly spending time with the family. I will still do my best though to blog as much as I can.
-----------------------------------------------
Now to the topic at hand:

As soon as I got home, I immediately took some snapshots and ran some tests.


Here are some pictures of the ATV beside other objects like my phone (HTC touch Dual) and a couple of coins.


Another Picture with the ATV attached to my Kohjinsha SR8.As you can see, it also comes with a cover keeper, which of course, allows you to tuck in the cover so that you won't accidentally leave it or lose it.


The ATV lights up Red when it is being accessed. Depending on the orientation of your USB slot, the red led may or may not face you.


I tested this on a Windows XP system. Here are the properties of the ATV 32GB. I have used this for about a couple of weeks already hence, the used space.


Here's the menu of HDTAC. As you can see you have two options, to run quick bench or long bench. I ran it on both ;-D



You can also choose some pre-tested flash drives, there wasn't much to choose from so I just went ahead and picked the first USB 2 device I could find to compare our ATV with. A kingston 1GB data traveler 2.0. I thought this would also be a great comparison since I will be comparing a 1 gig vs a 32 gig flash drive. the 1 gig would definitely be faster in theory. Here are the results.



The Quick Bench




The Long Bench


The ATV owned the data traveler by more than half of its speed!

Now now, hang on, I know you are probably saying that it would be better to run the ATV against a non pre-tested flash drive. Well, I have my regular Emtec 4GB flash drive. I love this too with swivel cover and all. I'm not sure if I could save the data of my ATV tests on HDtac so I just went ahead and tested the EMTEC and took snapshots as well.

Emtec Photos:


Close


Open



Let's see how it fairs:




As you can see, the ATV is way faster than the Emtec. Although the ATV is obviously a little bigger, it makes up for it for being more robust.

All in all, the ATV is definitely worth it. Imagine a pocketable 32Gig flash drive. Need I say more? 9/10 From Mytechisland!! the -1 is for the cover, if only they had strap that tied the cover to the back, it would have been a tad bit more convenient. I have been using the ATV for quite awhile and frankly, I still end up leaving the cover behind because I'm just too lazy to tuck it in the cover keeper.

Note: I wasn't able to run chekflash thoroughly coz it told me it would only run flash drives with 4 gig max, it was weird coz after giving me the error, it still ran the test on the ATV. I am not sure if it ran the test only on 4gb of the flash drive but here are the pics anyway:

CheckFlash 1.05 failed test


After the failed message, it still ran



When buying New flash drives I would definitely recommend using HDTACH or Flash drive to make sure you are not throwing your money away :-D

TIP: If ever your flash drive gets soaked in water for whatever reason, do not turn it on or plug to a live USB port for at least a day or two. Dry it immediately with a hair dryer if you can. There have been a lot of success stories of flash drives being accidentally washed and still being usable after, if you want to be one of them, follow this tip and save not only your data, but your flash drive as well!

No comments: