Search This Blog

Friday, September 5, 2008

Jabra BT8040 Bluetooth ANT bit my ear..Ouch!


First an update, our mother Concepcion Ongking Yu, could go anytime now.. But we know she is in good hands. Jesus and Mamma Mary is at her side...

Thank you for being the Perfect Wife to papa, thank you for being the perfect mother and grand mother to us all ma. You are our greatest teacher.

We Love You!!!
------------------------------------------

On my way to visit my mom at the hospital the other day I heard a "rubbing two papers" together kind of sound in my right ear. I was driving alone and was near Redemptorist church (to those of you who are from Cebu, you know where this is) when this happend.

I immediately removed my Jabra BT8040 Bluetooth headset and put a finger in my ear and rubbed it a little but it only worsened the sound, it felt like something very small was running around inside. Aside from being ticklish, it was very irritating, I didn't know what to do. I placed my finger and popped my ear with it (the act of putting your finger inside covering the hole, then pumping sucking the air inside and pulling the finger out), something worse happened after, it bit me, it felt like it bit my ear drum. You know the feeling when you accidentally clean your ears to deep? Yah that's how bad it felt, I repeated the process because I didn't know what else to do, on the back my head I was already thinking of going to the ER when I get to the hospital, it bit me again, around 4-5 times more, ouch, oh no, I'm going to go deaf.. I turned the aircon on full blast then I semi crouched sideways putting my ear by the blowers while still driving, it stopped, so I kept at it for a couple of minutes.. When I pulled back up I saw an ant on my finger, so I carefully plucked itss little head off with my finger nail and so on and so forth with the rest of it's body (cruel, but hey, what would you do?!) :-D

Man what a situation. The only way it could have gotten there is it piggy backed on my bluetooth headsets earplug. Lesson learned? Check your headset first when you leave it on a desk for a long time. Who would have thought huh? It was painful man, it left the stinging inside me ear that lasted till the next morning! I could already feel small pain on my throat which was connected to the ear somehow. Ouch!!


I still love my Jabra though and I am not blaming it for the what had happened :-D



Product Site

The Jabra BT8040 is a multipoint ready bluetooth headset (Supports two bluetooth Devices at the same time, eg: two cellphones or 1 cellphone & bluetooth enabled MP3 Player.)

I have 3 phone numbers, 1 Globe Regular Post paid, 1 Sun Cellular Network line and 1 PLDT landline+. I have my Sun and PLDT on one MyPhone B22 DUAL sim phone and my globe on a single sim HTC Touch Dual(its called a Dual not because it supports two sims, but because it has touch screen and a slide out keypad.) I have a friend who has 4 sims and two dual sims phones!!! Hahaha. That is why the Philippines is the texting capital of the world?!

What's great about this multipoint headset is it also supports A2DP. A2DP allows you to listen to stereo music on your MP3 Player or Cellphone. This was one of the reasons why I replaced my very trusted Plantronics 640. It already had perfectly implemented multipoint but didn't have A2DP. I like listening to music while in the grocery and when a call comes in, you can switch to it with one click of a button.

So I have my two phones connected via bluetooth. Both of my phones support A2DP as well so I can listed to music from any phone and switch back to calls on both of these phones as well. Cool huh?

There are couple of things that I still think should be improved on the Jabra 8040. Sound Volume is a tad bit low, or maybe it was the new eargel design that couldn't send the sound thoroughly through. I have to push it deeper sometimes and keep a finger there to make the sound clearer, only on crowded or noisy places though like the mall etc..

Another is the way it handles multipoint. When a call comes in one phone, it automatically disconnects the second phone. When you are done with the call it takes a few seconds to connect back. The disadvantage being, when a call comes in the second phone while your are still on the first call on the first phone and then you end it, you have to wait a few seconds for the second phone to connect back to the bluetooth headset, sometimes it doesn't connect, it also makes you look stupied because the phone is ringing, and people will be looking at you wondering why you haven't answered it yet because you are still waiting for it to patch through the bluetooth headset. It takes about 2-5 seconds to connect. It varies.

Unlike the Plantronics Multipoint technology, this is seamless. Both phones connected all the time. When you are in a call on one phone and a call comes in the second phone you will hear a beep on the bluetooth headset, pressing it once ends the first call, pressing it for the second time answers the second call from the second phone.

Although we're just talking about a matter of seconds, it can still be annoying. I had to make the sacrifice just for A2DP. It does make of for its shortcomings on other very useful features like A2DP and Being smaller in size. Still a worth upgrade from my 2 year old BT headset.

A lot of studies are emerging proving cellphone radiation can cause cancer, so be safe, protect your self from cancer and driving accidents, use a blueetooth headset,it is more convenient than a wired headset.

That being said, I give the Jabra BT8040 an 8/10.

Carefull of the ants, not in your pants but in your ear! :-D

No comments: