Search This Blog

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Flash Drive got soaked- but still alive- What to do if does happen to you


I have heard of a couple of guys with their testimony of flash drive surviving a dip in the washing machine but I never though I would experience it myself.

And all I can say it, its ALIVE!

I left my Emtec mini 4GB USB flash drive in my shorts that went straight to the laundry. Our helper wasn't able to check the pockets so, she washed it together with my shorts. Tsk tsk. I had some important files in there.

What I did:
1.) Don't be quick to test it right away. Whatever you do, DO not plug it to the USB PORT.
2.) Get a hair dryer and dry your USB device at all angles possible, especially pointing the hair dryer through the usb connector's mouth (refer to image below). If you can find a way to open the flash drive, even better, dry the circuits directly.
3.) To be safe, wait for at least two days before trying it out and I am sure your USB drive will survive this unfortunate accident.

Take note though that backing-up your data must be your first priority after that wet accident because although the drive turned out ok, these metal circuitry went for a dive, and what happens when metal materials get wet? They may rust and when that happens, it will cause your drive to totally breakdown.

On the bright side though, there is also a chance it wont and you will be able to use your drive for as long as you can. What's important is, you will be able to retrieve your data.

Non the less, if you want to be safe, get the OCZ ATV which is water resistant and I believe will even survive and maybe even enjoy the swim! :-)


POINT TO USB'S MOUTH

No comments: