Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How to Share your Windows Desktop's optical drive with your Macbook AIR


Well, I came across this issue because I wanted to try to install my Starcraft 2 game on my Macbook Air to see how it plays on a MAC.  I called up Richard Lee of ICenter Cebu and he introduced me to this idea of sharing my Windows PC's optical drive to my Macbook Air.

You need to install a file on your PC.  Richard told me that this is on the DVD that came with my Air, problem was, it didn't come with a DVD, only a USB reinstall Stick. 

Quickly googled it and I found it.  It is actually very simple.

1.) Download and install this file from the apple site and install it on your Windows PC.
2.) Go to Windows Control Panel and look for "DVD or CD Sharing Options"
3.) Enable it.

Thats it! Now, any disc you put on those drives can be access through the MAC Laptop via your "Macintosh HD/Finder" where you will see your PC's name under the REMOTE DISC Device.

Currently installing Starcaft II now.

Who need's an external Optical Drive? :-)

Enjoy!! :-)

No comments: